Updated: Jul 10, 2020
We would like to wish you a Happy and safe Independence Day from all of us at Beaches Pediatrics! Every year around the holidays we experience an increase in burns from fireworks and want to remind you about the safety and precautions to take for your children around fire. NEVER leave your child unattended around fireworks including sparklers and ALWAYS ensure your child stands a safe distance away from where the firework ignites. Don't forget about loud sounds! Your young children should wear ear protective equipment such as noise cancelling ear muffs.
If your child does experience a mild burn here are some tips for initial burn care from the American Academy of Pediatrics and be sure to call us for an appointment! If the burn is on the face, hands or is more than a superficial, mild burn please seek emergency treatment.
Cool the burn- place your child's burn under cool running water for 5-10 minutes
Cover the burn- place a clean bandage that will not stick to the burn site
Protect the burn- clean with soap and water to prevent infection